A heroic young mother was shot twice as she tried to defend her family during a home invasion.
Semantha Bunce, 21, was at home feeding her four-month-old son Bentley when intruders broke into her home in east Charlotte, North Carolina, on Tuesday morning.
The mother-of-two, a combat medic in the National Guard, quickly took her son to the bedroom and placed him in the crib before grabbing her husband’s gun.
When the men opened fire at her in the stairwell, she then fired back from the bedroom door.
She managed to protect her child and chase away the intruders but was seriously injured in the process
It was her military training that allowed her to remain calm during the gunfight, he added.
He had been at work at the time and the couple’s daughter was at school.
‘I’m hanging in there,’ Paul added to WCNC. ‘Taking baby steps, but in the right direction. She is a fighter, she never gives up.’
Hollie Ritchie, a friend and fellow soldier who served alongside Bunce, set up a GoFundMe page to help raise funds to cover the cost of her care.
The page has attracted almost $30,000 in donations in four days.
Ritchie wrote: ‘She is an amazing person, mother, wife, friend and soldier. Would do anything for anyone and would quite literally give you the shirt off her back if you needed it.’
Bunce’s family said she had made it through surgery and is in a stable condition at Carolinas Medical Center.
In an update posted yesterday, she added that Bunce is ‘doing much better’ and has managed to get out of bed and take a few steps.
‘She’s quite the fighter and incredibly inspirational,’ Ritchie added. ‘She expressed so much gratitude to everyone for their generosity and kindness.’
Bunce also took to Facebook to express her gratitude, writing: ‘I would love to personally thank each and every one if you for your support during this time.
‘No words can truly express the amount of gratitude I share for new each of you during this time of utter tragedy.
‘To those family members and friends who traveled near and far to be with me and support me during my time of recovery, to those strangers whom I’ve never met who have taken their generous time to donate and to support my family during this time as well, I appreciate you all equally!
‘Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the undying support. It means the absolute world to me and my family to have your support during this time of tragedy.’
Reco Latur Dawkins Jr., 23, has been charged with attempted murder, felony breaking and entering and conspiracy to commit felony breaking and entering in connection with the incident.
He is in police custody after turning himself in on Saturday morning, according to WSOCTV.
However, it is not clear how many suspects were involved in the home invasion.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Capt. Chuck Henson said extra patrols will be taking place in the neighborhood.
Henson said there have been three break-ins in the area this year, although none were as violent as Tuesday’s incident.