Mother of Slain Green Beret Says Trump Did Disrespect Her Family After President Denies Comments

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump called Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, who was killed while serving his country, and spoke to her over the phone for about five minutes. What The President said during this conversation has been scrutinized heavily since the call was ended. Just what did President Trump say?

Rep. Frederica Wilson was present during the phone call, though she was not on the call. Still, Wilson claims she heard Trump say “he knew what he signed up for… but when it happens, it hurts anyway.”

On Tuesday morning, President Trump denied the allegations. Though he says he has proof, he hasn’t provided that proof yet.

As reported by ABC Local 10, the conversation between Myeshia and Trump took place before Johnson’s remains arrived at the Miami International Airport. Upon learning about Trump’s statement, Wilson said, “Yes, he said it.” She continued, “It’s so insensitive. He should have not have said that. He should not have said it.”

After Trump’s tweet this morning, Sgt. Johnson’s mother spoke with the Washington Post. “President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband,” said Cowanda Jones-Johnson. She confirmed for the Post that Rep. Wilson’s comments were accurate, and that President Trump had made the insensitive comment.

Sgt. Johnson’s widow, Myeshia, is now a single mother to Johnson’s 6-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son. She is expecting their third child in January. Wilson watched as the widow, leaned over Johnson’s casket, which was draped with an American flag, as Myeshia sobbed uncontrollably.

Local politicians, firefighters, and police officers were lined up to honor Johnson for his service.

Johnson had participated in a mentorship program that was founded by Wilson in 1993. He was part of the 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, but had been deployed to Niger, where he was killed during an ambush by Islamic militants on October 4.

Trump had previously been questioned about his actions following the deaths of four soldiers during the ambush. During a press conference last week, Trump said, “I will, at some point, during the period of time, call the parent and the families, because I have done that, traditionally.”

Wilson had criticized Trump for not acknowledging Johnson’s death sooner. Johnson had been left behind during the evacuation from Niger, and it took nearly two days for his body to be recovered.

As the controversy surrounding Trump’s actions grew, he later claimed that President Barack Obama and other presidents didn’t contact the family members of all of the fallen servicemen and women whose deaths occurred during their respective terms. However, multiple former presidential aides came forward stating that was not the case.

Trump has also declined to provide any details about the ambush and did not confirm whether a Pentagon investigation was underway.

Source: Tribunist